1991 Jeep Cherokee neutral safety switch

ADMIRAL
  • 1991 JEEP CHEROKEE
Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1991 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

How do you get the neutral safety switch of the AW4 transmission? The chrysler manual says it lifts off after removing the adjuster bolt and attaching nut but this one will not. I've even tried prying on it to get it to come off. Any Ideas?
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 10:56 AM

JASONRAY
It's probably been on there since 1991 so I bet it's just stuck. Are you replacing it? If so, pry harder! It'll come off if the nut's been removed. Try spraying some PB Blaster or other penetrant to break it lose.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 8:06 PM
ADMIRAL
I tried liquid wrench on it and there isn't enough room to pry very hard on it. There are metal trans. Lines going across it as well as the exhaust pipe to contend with. There is a threaded piece around the manual shift shaft that seems to be holding it in. This is the piece that the nut threads onto. I was thinking that maybe that need to be broken off in order to get the switch off. It looks like it's part of the switch, that's why I thought it needs to go.
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 6:49 AM
JASONRAY
If my memory serves me correctly, is should just come straight out. You may have to pry the lines away from it some but it can be done. If it simply won't come loose, you may have to take more drastic measures, like removing the exhaust, or removing the trans. Crossmember and lowering the rear of the trans to allow better access. Keep trying and good luck
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 6:55 PM