CAR STOPS WILL NOT START

2002 Jaguar XK8

Craig Ebner

May, 28, 2009 AT 11:43 AM

2002 Jaguar XK8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 42000 miles

I have had a number of times that my Jaguar XK8 will stop and when I turn the key nothing happens. Battery is new and they have replaced 2 starter switches. In two weeks after the last switch I turned off the car and when I tried to start it again nothing. No gauges no electrical. They tried replacing the switch again but this time it did not correct the problem. The mechanic said he has checked the wires and starter motor but does not have an analyzer. Unfortunately I have little faith in my closest Jaguar dealer.
Do you have any ideas?

Docfixit

May, 28, 2009 AT 12:33 PM

Hi
Check high power fuses in trunk next to battery. See if the 500 amp and the 250 amp are good.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Craig Ebner

May, 30, 2009 AT 7:16 AM

The high current fuses are OK

Craig Ebner

May, 30, 2009 AT 8:51 AM

I have additional info on the problem that might help.
It appeared that the battery(although new) needed to be charged. When charged I got a quick flash indication of all the status lights on the dash ( engine symbol etc) but then they go out again and it will not start but battery appears to be down in charge

Docfixit

May, 30, 2009 AT 10:05 AM

What is voltage of battery across posts? It is possible battery has a dead cell oe a shorted cell. Try new battery or jump.

Craig Ebner

June, 2, 2009 AT 9:27 AM

I was able to jump start the car with a 500 AMP jumper but it soon stopped which I assume means the battery is discharged. It is a new battery within 6 weeks. Could it be the altenator not charging or starter motor draining the battery?

Thank You
Craig

Docfixit

June, 2, 2009 AT 11:22 AM

Alternator most likely can't test till good battery is in car. When good batt is installed check starter draw and alt output.
Let me know

Craig Ebner

June, 2, 2009 AT 2:55 PM

Found it was one of the ignition relays that was bad. The battery is fine.

Thank You for your assistance

Craig

Docfixit

June, 2, 2009 AT 3:05 PM

Good to hear you did a good diagnostic job.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right