HOW TO IMPROVE OIL PRESSURE?

1980 Jaguar XJS

ivantoni

September, 19, 2008 AT 11:48 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1980 Jaguar XJS V12 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

Hi there,

I am a Jag enthusiast and ive just recently bought an xjs jaguar v12 with about 155,000kms on the clock, the car seems to be running well as far as water cooling as the temperature hangs about the half way mark. However not so sure about oil pressure because after starting the car from cold the oil pressure gauge sits about the half way mark but after about half an hour of driving the oil pressure shows close to the '1' and '0' mark!

As I have just bought this car my question is what are some steps I could take to kerb the low oil pressure? Should I just take it to a professional for a good service or is their a more simple solution?

cheers

September, 20, 2008 AT 1:04 AM

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge if normal replace the oil pressure switch-abnormal readings could indicate a problem with oil pump/engine bearings/oil galleries/sludges etc

jacspeed

January, 5, 2009 AT 11:22 AM

If the engine is already warm, to 800-900 rev/minute, low pressure is normal, but accelerating, it must go up.
Bye. Mark

Good theory-but when it goes beyond the limit then you have a problem

Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mazda 3
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio