NOISE ON START UP.

1995 Jaguar XJR

K_R_Garrett

October, 8, 2006 AT 2:59 PM

I have a 1995 Jaguar XJR that makes a rather loud knocking/clicking noise when started. The car has 120,000 miles. The noise only occurs about 15% of the time and only lasts for a few seconds. There has been no effect on the performance of the car. I am thinking it might be caused by slack in the timing chain and that I should replace the tensioner. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Kyle

K_R_Garrett

October, 13, 2006 AT 4:52 PM

Today I picked up my Jaguar and the problem has been fixed. The noise I was hearing was being caused by the timing chain tensioner failing. I was told that the new tensioner was a slightly different design than the old. I am unsure what year Jaguar made this change but I assume the old design was flawed. : D

tj1511

October, 17, 2006 AT 12:54 PM

Do you mind telling me what the cost was?

K_R_Garrett

October, 17, 2006 AT 1:02 PM

The part s were less that $100.00 and the labor was 1.5 hours. The repair manual includes changing the tensioner with replacing the timing chain. That called for 14 hrs labor. The manual didn't list changing the tensioner seperatly. Also the XJR has a supercharged 6 cyl. If you have a V8 it may be much different.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement