LIMP MODE

1998 Jaguar XJ8

flightcommander

October, 2, 2010 AT 9:28 AM

1998 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I DROVE OVER A TRIANGLE SHAPED METAL PIECE THAT FITS INTO A MANHOLE COVER AND IT BENT THE PAN UNDER THE PASSENGER SEAT AND CAUSED ALL POWER TO SHUT DOWN. THE CLUSTER READOUT DISPLAYED TRANSMISSION DEFAULT WRONG PART FITTED-RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE AND THE ENGINE STARTED TO MISS. TWO DAYS LATER THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN LIMP MODE. CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY INFO ON HOW TO CORRECT THIS SITUATION. I THINK THAT THE PROBLEM IS IN THE COMPUTER BUT NEED A QUICK FIX IF POSSIBLE. THANKS, FLIGHTCOMMANDER@MSN. COM

Jagtech360

October, 30, 2010 AT 10:05 AM

Sounds like you damaged the transmission.

flightcommander

November, 6, 2010 AT 5:25 AM

The trans was not damaged from the impact. On inspection there is no scratches cracks or leaks. The tcm is not communicating with the can. What effect could an impact of this sort cause this problem. Should I try a used computer to see if it could clear the problem? Thanks, flightcommander

Jagtech360

November, 6, 2010 AT 4:57 PM

I know exactly what happened! There is an inertia switch beneath the dash on the passenger side. It is designed to cut power and disable certain modules in the event of an accident. Look near the passenger kick panel in the area where your feet would be. There is a small black box that has a reset button on it. Press this button to reset the inertia switch! This should take care of your problem!