CAR TURNS OVER, THEN STALLS

1998 Jaguar XJ8

kmcgartha8655@yahoo.com

April, 15, 2010 AT 7:02 AM

1998 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I had an accident in my car and was hit from behind. Now the car turns over slightly then stalls as if kill switch active. Thought it may have needed fuel reset, but fuel appears to be reaching. What else may need to be reset or what else may be the problem? No indicator lights.

Dave H

April, 16, 2010 AT 3:36 AM

Hello. Thanks for the donation. Much appreciated

Reset the inertia fuel cut off switch again. See if it starts firing up again. Sounds like the alarm/immobolizer may be tripped lock and unlock the doors a few times to reset the immo system. The timing should not jump due to a collision !

Hope this helps

kmcgartha8655@yahoo.com

April, 16, 2010 AT 2:00 PM

Hi Dave H,

Thanks for the response. I will try resetting the inertia fuel cut off switch again and lock and unlock the doors a few times to reset the immo system. If this does not work, what should be the next thing to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Dave H

April, 17, 2010 AT 3:15 AM

Let me know what the car is doing once you have tried these fixes ? .. is it turning over (cranking) and not firing up ... firing up then stalling ? .. not cranking over at all ?

Let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1133.png

kmcgartha8655@yahoo.com

April, 19, 2010 AT 7:55 PM

Hi Dave H,

The initial reset prior to this reset it ran 8-10 seconds and stalled. Then tried to crank it once more and it didn't turn over at all.
Today tried to reset as you mentioned and unlock and lock the doors to reset the immo system, the car is still not cranking at all.

Please advise on next troubleshooting option.

Thanks!

Dave H

April, 20, 2010 AT 4:14 AM

If it is not doing anything at all when turning the key. Check the battery is good. Check the starter motor and wiring. Check all fuse's including main fuses.

If the engine is turning. But not firing up (starting) check for fule and spark @ spark plugs. Crank it over a few times. Remove a spark plug to see if it is wet with fuel. Use a spark tester to check for spark. Have the vehicle plugged into a diagnostic scanner/computer to check for fault codes stored on the cars PCM/ECU

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011