1995 Jaguar XJ6 Boot Lid Won't Open. Help!

• 1 POST
  • 1995 JAGUAR XJ6

1995 Jaguar XJ6 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 91000 miles

I have a (Rhd)1995 XJ6 and I just can't seem to open the boot lid. It was working fine initially but since I played with the valet button (and the green key) nothing seems to work at all with the push button switch on the boot lid. I have tried the manual key option(black key), but that does not work either. It just seems to turn and nothing happens. I have sprayed it with WD40 and now it turns far easier to turn but still nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or is their anything else I could try? The local dealers only answer was "break in". I have only just bought this car and it's my pride and joy so I really don't want to consider that option unless their really is no alternative. Please beware my knowledge on electrics is somewhat limited.
I'm at my wits end so any help will be greatefully received.

Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 AT 5:08 AM

It sounds like you may have dropped the linkage form the latch to the release. AND, on an XJ6, this is not a good deal. The last one of these I ran into, they had to cut a hole behind the license plate to get at the latch to release it. That's the only way Iknow of without causing major body damage. If you can come up with a better way, I'd LOVE to hear about it. Driling the lock out won't get you to where you need to go.

Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 9:12 PM