KEY WONT TURN

1986 Jaguar XJ6

ejkiser

March, 10, 2012 AT 3:46 PM

I'm restoring an 1986 XJ6. I spent the day replacing the wood dashboard and when I got it put back together the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. Here are a couple of details. 1. I found a couple of fuses that were blown under the center console and replaced then. I removed the steering wheel. Had a hard time purring it back on it may be out of position. I did nothing to the actual ignition itself other that remove the plastic key position indicator and rubber block behind it. Key never had problems turning before yesterday. I have tried the spares and spraying wd-40 into the lock. The car beeps when I insert the key in the ignition lile it recognizes it is there so my question is their a reset button or something I missed? Please help.

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

March, 10, 2012 AT 6:03 PM

Check the ignition switch cylinder lock-

ejkiser

March, 11, 2012 AT 8:56 PM

Ok, would be willing to do that if you would describe just how it is done.

March, 11, 2012 AT 9:14 PM

If you haven't done such a thing it can get complicate-best just have it checked

STEERING LOCK
Removal
Take off upper column shrouding. Using a center punch, make several dimples in shear bolt and rotate bolt out.
Fig. 1: Components Located Behind Steering Wheel. Collect all parts of split collet and save for reassembly.
Courtesy of JAGUAR CARS LTD.
Installation
To install, reverse removal procedure.
IGNITION SWITCH
Removal
Disconnect battery ground cable. Separate column shrouding from switch side. Disengage retaining ring holding ignition switch in housing. Disconnect ignition switch wiring at multi-pin connector. Remove switch and harness.
Installation
To install, reverse removal procedure.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006