FUSES AND RADIATOR

1986 Jaguar XJ6

lanebreeze

March, 22, 2010 AT 8:32 PM

1986 Jaguar XJ6 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

To The Wonderful Person Who Can Offer Some Help,
I recently bought an 86 XJ6 from the original owner and, at first, the only issue I had (and still do) is with the turn signals, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I was able to change all of the fuses, except for the 35 and 50 (watt/volt?) As AutoZone nor Kragen didn't offer anything higher than 30. I am using ACG fuses, although there might be a few 20 SFE, and I am not sure if that makes a difference. I need to know where to get the fuses I need and need to make sure I am getting the correct type/size.
Also, I took the car to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and ended up getting a radiator fluid flush in addition. A day or two after this service, I noticed that my water/coolant lamp was on, and saw that the radiator fluid was draining out onto the ground, from what I think may be a hose and not the actual radiator itself. What I want to know is, could the service I got at Jiffy Lube have caused this and if it is just a hose that needs to be replaced, how much should I expect to pay for that (parts and labor). I am a woman, and it's important to know these things ahead of time, so I don't get " hosed" (not in the fun way) at the mechanic.
Oh here is a third question: I am adding fuel injector cleaner nearly every time I add gas, as it is a bit slow on the pick up and I figured it wouldn't do any harm if the car didn't need it. Am I correct in that thinking, or should I lay off the fuel additives.
ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I am in the Los Angeles area, so if you could even recommend a good mechanic here, that would be helpful, too!
THANKS!
ps I am not sure if my car has 2 or 4 wheel drive, if that matters.

Dave H

March, 23, 2010 AT 4:18 PM

Any dealer will supply the correct fuses you require. It is possible the hose is just leaking and was not replaced correctly after the flush. Repalcement for a hose should cost less than $100 including parts . I would add a fuel addative every 3 or 4 fuel fills

lanebreeze

March, 23, 2010 AT 7:18 PM

This is good new, Dave. Thank you for your quick reply! When you say " any dealer", does that mean that I can drive my '86 into any Jag dealer and get the correct fuses? Also, do you think it is worth the time to go to the Jiffy Lube that performed the flush and see if they can reconnect the hose? I sincerely appreciate your time and efforts!
Lane

Dave H

March, 24, 2010 AT 1:08 AM

Yes .. any Jaguar dealer will supply the fuses .. I think your problem may lie in the actual turn signal switch or relay ! ... I would return the car to the jiffy lube and have them check the hoses, explain you had no leak before the flush .. it is really their responsibility to fix the leak.

Turn Signal/Hazard Flasher Relay...Under right side of instrument panel.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_jag_93.jpg

Hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1085.png

Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500