1985 Jaguar XJ6 Jag 1985 XJ6 Series III

BRENDANF
  • 1985 JAGUAR XJ6
1985 Jaguar XJ6 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I am looking @ buying this Jag, the current owner has tried to repair wipers that were not working, and as a result the other instruments have failed.

Also the car has been in storage for 2 years and when trying to start it, it turns over ok and tries to fire up but won't, it could be as simple as a fuel filter but I thought I'd check with you.

Can someone please give me an idea of what is wrong and the possible fix.

Cheers
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM

BENTLEY EVERSLEY
To whom it may concern, have you tried spraying starter fluid into the throttle body to prime the motor. Also check to see if the fuel pump is coming on when the motor is been cranked. Get back to me, and let me know the outcome. Good luck!
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 10:21 PM
BRENDANF
I tried the starter fluid trick, and it ran on that for a short while. I have checked the power to the injectors and it isn't 12 volts, much less. What could cause that? The fuel pump is new and so to the filter. I had the computer looked at by an electronics guy and he said nothing was blown in that, so I am lost. I have ordered another computer (ECU) from the US just in case it might be that but now I'm unsure.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Brendan in Australia
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 1:11 AM
BENTLEY EVERSLEY
Hi Brendon, How are things in Australia? I trust all is well with you. As to the Jaguar I've been there before, and I beleave if you replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor your problem should be solved. It takes a lot to kill the Computer in those cars. Give this a try before replacing the Computer. Get back to me with the outcome, and Good luck! P.S you may have to spray some starter fluid to get it started or may be not.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 9:18 PM
BRENDANF
Hi Bentley,

Thank's for your advice,

Perth has been hot lately, 40C yesterday, 33C today and rain and 24C Wednesday & Thursday, all the seasons in a week. You would be heading for spring, the weather must be getting nicer there, although the news here says there is a lot of snow in the US.

Anyway, the previous owner has had a play with the Airflow meter (the lid comes off nice and easy), but I assumed that it was working when the engine started on the petrol sprayed in the air intake.

With the low voltage on the injectors. Would that be caused by, the airflow meter? I just noticed that it has an electrical plug on the side of it, is it attached to the computer too?

The Jag's wiring seems simple enough, but I'm not up to speed with it enough to trouble shoot. I ordered a computer last week, but I will try to get hold of the air intake too, not many of them on ebay.

Cheers,

Brendan
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 9:42 PM
BRENDANF
Hi Bentley,

just a quick question, were is the ignition amplifier?

Is it behind the dash? The previous owner was playing around in there.

Cheers,

Brendan
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 1:11 AM
BENTLEY EVERSLEY
Hey Brendanf, I feel you on the weather. Spring is around the corner for us here in Charlotte N.C, Hey not to worry your warm weather is also around the corner so hold tight. Now as to the Jaguar, the Ignition Amplifier only supply spark for the engine. If spraying starter fluid gets the car running till the fluid burns off rule out the Ignition Amplifier. Try this, take the cap off the Mass Air Flow move the needle by hand and block it partly open, spray starter fluid into the throttle body and start the car. See if it stays running as long as the needle is blocked. Get back to me and let me know the outcome.
Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 9:19 AM
BENTLEY EVERSLEY
Hey Brendanf, As to you question on the Ignition Amplifier location, its a square box just slightly above the distrubitor to the left if standing in front the car on the passenger side, if this helps any. Keep in touch.
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 9:30 PM
ALFREDXJ683
." The previous owner has had a play with the Airflow meter (the lid comes off nice and easy) "
-shouldn't the lid on the meter be air-sealed. If it comes off too easy, it might be letting too much air go in, after the flap closes.
Could be a vacuum problem, there, on the lid. Seal it up with silicone.
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 8:51 PM