ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN

1996 Jaguar Vanden Plas

sah

December, 17, 2008 AT 2:40 AM

Steering problem
1996 Jaguar Vanden Plas 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 82000 miles

So the column goes in and out and up and down. The in and out seem to work but the up and down is iffy. Works sometimes, not others. Also it does not seem to go up all the way. I am looking for information about what parts I need to track down to fix this. It is unclear from my searches.

December, 17, 2008 AT 12:00 PM

Hi sah,

I could only find an exploded view of the steering column and hope it helps.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Steering96Jaguar_1.jpg

I believe the part that you should check is the tilt pivot.

sah

December, 17, 2008 AT 6:01 PM

Thank you but I still could use a bit more information, part wise. I did some looking on line for that part and I come up with 2 items: OES Genuine Steering Column Motor
1995-1997 Jaguar Vanden Plas - $250

OES Genuine Steering Column Adj.
1995-1997 Jaguar Vanden Plas - $90

I do not see a motor in the view you showed but I assume it must be there. Do I need both of these or just one or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Thanks,
Sean

December, 18, 2008 AT 8:27 AM

Hi Sean,

Sorry I could not find any parts info from Mitchell1. Googling did not help much as well.

The 2 parts that you provided seems seems separate and depending on the fault and rectification, I believe the motor is what you should be looking at.

I will try to get it from my fellow technicians to see if they could be of assistance.

Sorry to have to keep you waiting.

sah

December, 18, 2008 AT 3:15 PM

No stress. This is a great site and I am glad I found it. I have tons of questions and will be posts them soon (and I am more then happy to pay for each one!). I want to cherry out this car. I ordered the CDROM with the service manuals the other day.

Thanks,
Sean

2CarPros Ken

December, 22, 2008 AT 6:25 PM

Hi the problem should be in the motor, or the controller. Can you prob the feed wires to see if the power comes and goes?

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage