1990 Jaguar Sovereign Air conditioner/Gasket

PAULI PALM SPRINGS
  • 1990 JAGUAR SOVEREIGN

Air Conditioning problem
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 72,500 miles

Two issues-oil gasket leaking. What to do? Should I have one that mechanic says he can get rebuilt?

2ndissue-the worst. I am living in desert. My air went out. Stopped. Service guy gave it a recharge & it lasted 3 weeks. Stopped again Have hot air blowing
Yes, it was converted. What can I expect to get air-do they have to put whole new system since car is l990 or what? Frantic, frankly, as on a tight budget, no way to buy or lease other car. HELP, please

Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 5:45 PM

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

With out knowing where the oil leak is I can't comment, if you can advise on this leak that would be a big help, as for the A/C I would first get a leak test done, this may be a simple fix if it is a leaking hose union.

Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 5:50 PM
PAULI PALM SPRINGS

Do I have to go to a Jag mechanic to get leak test or can a place like Meineke do it?

Re Gasket-leaks bown oil toward front of car. That's all I know. Mechanic says gasket bad and wants $900 to fix it.

Disturbed about both as gasket affects power steering. But AIR here in the desert-, my car is undriveable. Would you go to Dealer, a Jag mechanic or where? Thanks

Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 5:55 PM
MHPAUTOS

The A/C can be checked by any workshop that does A/C repairs. What they will do is add a small charge of refrigerant with a leak detector dye, as it leaks it will leave a stain, I would get a second quote on the oil leak and a better description of what is wrong, just a gasket sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 6:01 PM
PAULI PALM SPRINGS

Thanks for reply. It is the gasket that affects the power steering.

Re the A/c they did a test, saw that it leaked, charged it and it ran for 3 weeks. Not working now.
What am I up for on this issue since it's a l990? Do they repair the leak, or have to do a whole new system. That's my worry. Thanks

Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 10:23 PM
MHPAUTOS

Do you know if it is the steering rack or the pump that is leaking/ this will make a fair difference in Price, as for the A/C leak, it may be as simple as a seal but we do need to get the dye leak test done to confirm the actual cause of th leak.

Mark

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 1:53 AM