TRANS SLIPPIN

2000 Isuzu Trooper

brittrooper10

September, 17, 2010 AT 1:44 PM

2000 Isuzu Trooper 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I bought my trooper nearly 3 years ago. A few weeks after I bought it the trans went out. I took it to a dealership they said it had fluid and don't know why it was slipping like crazy. I took it to another shop and they said it had no fluid. They rebuilt the trans and it ran again then a month later it was slipping that happened every month for 2 1/2 years they said if I replace the filter and gaskets it would stop leaking. Only to find now that it was not leaking there it was leaking where it attaches to the motor or whatever it attaches to. They also told me all this time that it wasn't leaking then it was. So I just let it go. One day it decided not to go up hills anymore. So I took it to a different shop the next day they filled the trans with fluid only to find it needed barly any fluid at all. I took it the first shop again and they said there was no fluid. They are getting fishy now. And they say the trans is shot. It is just slipping like crazy. What do I do?

September, 19, 2010 AT 10:05 AM

Hi brittrooper10,

Here are the procedures for checking the fluid level.

CHECKING FLUID LEVEL
1. Transmission is not equipped with a dipstick. Ensure vehicle is level, with engine running at idle and parking brake applied. Ensure fluid temperature is less than 90 F (30 C). Move gear selector through all gear positions, ending in "P" position.

2. Let engine idle for 3 minutes and open overfill screw on bottom of pan. Transmission is filled through overfill screw. Fluid will seek correct level and excess should flow out from overfill screw. See Fig. 3 .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_TransDrainPlug00TrooperFig03_1.jpg

DGingrey

September, 20, 2010 AT 11:45 AM

My 93 trooper tranny was slipping like crazy to I got lucky and it was just low fluid I new this becuase it stopped the moment I put fluid in it. So that should be your first thing to look at. Second get under the car and look if the undercarriage is covered in fluid then it is leaking if not bad tranny it basically that simple.