REAR ABS AND BRAKE LIGHTS ON

• photoartguy
  • Isuzu

1994 Honda Passport, 4WD, 3.2 V6, 185,000mi. Today, the 'Rear ABS' and 'BRAKE' lights came on. The brakes in general seem to be working fine (don't know about the ABS), but the lights remain on. After turning the car off, then restarting, the lights were off, but came back on after about 10-15 seconds (with or without driving). Could this be something serious, or would it be okay to drive it for the time being?

Also, is there a way to check the codes without a scan tool? I'm in a semi-remote area and don't have access to many tools; but, I know that on some other cars, the codes can be read by shorting 2 of the computer-connector pins.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, October 20th, 2007 AT 4:33 PM

• blackop555

It would be ok to drive. I belive there is a ABS fuse. Also if you ahve used the e-brake recently that can cause the back drums to lock up and the the parking brake and abs light comes on happend to me several times

Saturday, October 20th, 2007 AT 9:33 PM
  • photoartguy

Yes, I use the e-brake almost every time I park (live on a hill). If the rear brakes are locked, what can I do to fix them?

Thanks!

Sunday, October 21st, 2007 AT 5:16 PM
  • blackop555

Take off the back drum if thats you type of brake and move them around then put cover back on. Does the light go off? If its disk brake move them around also they may pry them free. Check that. DO ON BOTH SIDES!

If that fails then I belive you may have a blown abs fuse or the abs sensor is going.

Sunday, October 21st, 2007 AT 7:16 PM
  • photoartguy

Thank you -- I'll give that a try!

Monday, October 22nd, 2007 AT 11:46 AM