CHANGING SPARK PLUGS RODEO

2001 Isuzu

kruzoo

February, 9, 2006 AT 11:51 AM

Before I break something, can you help me with how to locate and remove the spark plugs from my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo? I have a new set of six plugs ready for installation but where I thought they should go is a gasket of some sort. Help?

Thanks.

Gearshifter

February, 9, 2006 AT 12:23 PM

Wherever the wires are which there should be six that's where the spark plugs are. Pull the wire off that is on the engine. There should be 3 wires in a row on one side and 3 on the other. Once the you pull the wire off you will see the spark plug. Replace them one at a time because each wire has to go into a certian order in order for the engine to fire properly. Also the spark plug gap must be set right so check in the manual for the correct setting.

kruzoo

February, 9, 2006 AT 12:59 PM

This engine is different in that the six plugs, three on each side, have a coil-type cover held by two screws. After removing the screws, the plug cover does not want to release. I am not sure waht to do once I get to that point? It cannot be pryed with a flat head screwdriver or just pulled up. I am afraid I will break something if I try to force it.

Gearshifter

February, 10, 2006 AT 9:42 AM

Yah, I'm not sure about that kind i'd have to ask dad, but I know they are pretty pricey to replace, so don't go prying on anything just yet. Sorry I haven't ever had that kind of a set up in my vehicles.

kruzoo

February, 10, 2006 AT 11:28 AM

Hey, if your dad has any idea what I can do please let me know. Thanks!

Gearshifter

February, 10, 2006 AT 12:03 PM

Will do.

jough626

June, 17, 2006 AT 7:35 PM

Your right. Those six things on either side of your engine are coil packs. Those coils are what builds and holds the electrical charge. The spark plugs are under them. After you remove the two screws that hold the coil packs down, they will lift out. With time and heat the boots that go around the ceramic part of the spark will get stuck and hard to remove. My advice to you is let the engine warm, just a little, and then try to disassemable everything. Giving the coil packs a little twist and a pull at the same time will help them release. Also, a word or warning, the spark plug closest to the brake booster will give you the hardest time. You'll need a couple extensions, and a flexable " universal" socket.
Good luck.

Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230