2004 Isuzu Ascender starting problem

RICHARD J WALKER
  • 2004 ISUZU ASCENDER
Turn the key to start, everything comes on, but engine won't crank, turn key off and on many times, sometimes 10 times sometimes 50 times, engine finally cranks, problem comes and goes sometimes this happens once a month sometimes it happens 3 times in a day. Really don't want to just swap parts out until I have a clearer picture of what is going on. I've been told may be a bad ignition switch or may be a hot spot on the starter, what do you think?
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 8:17 PM

BRIAN 1
Take a test light and check for power at the starter solenoid (purple wire) at the starter, when the vehicle wont start. See if you have power when cranking, if you have power then the starter is bad, if not trace it back and might be ign switch. Post back with any other questions.
+1
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 8:34 PM
DEVIATEUS
I have a 2005 ascender and have the same exact issue. I ended up replacing the starter today. Hope for your sake it is not the starter. It is not covered on warranty and is close to $700. Let me know if you find out anything else. I do not have my car back yet so I do not know that the starter fixed the issue yet?
+1
Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 4:52 PM
SAVANNAH235
My wife's 2003 Ascender has the exact same issue. We replaced the starter module with no luck. Ignition switch is our next target.
If you have identified the issue with your truck, any help would help us out greatly.
Friday, April 17th, 2009 AT 8:32 PM
HUGSNKISSES
I have a 2003 Ascender that I just had this same problem with two weeks ago. I had the Ignition switch replaced and now it starts every time. Hope this help you.
+1
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 1:05 AM
CDIEMER
I am having the exact same problem with my 2004 Isuzu Ascender, V8 4WD. Works fine some days. Sometimes for weeks. Sometimes it stops working three times in a day. Right now it has not started for 4 hours. Longest ever. Usually it starts after a few minutes. Some suggest it might have something to do with the security system. No correlation with weather or temperature. Ignition replaced under warranty didn't make it stop. Now it seems totally dead. It has a good battery. Plenty of power. New ignition. Some people say it was the "smart key" the chip in the ignition key. But it's definitely worse today. I hear it click, all lights on the dashboard light. Buzzers buzz, then nothing when I crank. When it does usually crank it sounds totally normal and starts like a charm. Sometimes it seems to be
+3
Thursday, January 27th, 2011 AT 4:59 PM