1999 Infiniti I30 HOW TO CHANGE A TIMING BELT AND GUIDES

Tiny
GEORGE EDWARDS
  • MEMBER
  • 1999 INFINITI I30
Engine Mechanical problem
1999 Infiniti I30 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I WOULD LIKE DIRECTIONS TO CHANGE A TIMING CHANE ON A 1999 I-30. WILL I NEED TO TAKE THE MOTOR OUT OF THE CAR?
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 7:46 PM

1 Reply

Tiny
96INFINITII30
  • MEMBER
Why is it that you are looking to replace the chain and guides? Unless there is damage to the chain or guides, I dont believe you need to replace the chain. That is the good thing about nissan/infiniti is they use timing chains not belts. You will not need to remove the motor, but you will need to remove motor mount(s). Be sure to have engine hoist or proper engine support jacks.

I just did a head gasket in my 96 which required me to take off the timing chain cover, timing chain, and guides.

You will need to remove the drive belt tensioner, and all drive belts, crankshaft pulley, power steering pump, motor mount (be sure to support engine correctly.)

Once those are off you will need to remove two brackets that are attached to the timing chain. I think these hold on wiring. You may need to remove the alternator and AC compressor/bracket to get to all the timing chain cover bolts.

After that, remove the lower oil pan, you will need to remove 2 bolts from inside the oil pan that are attached to the bottom of the timing chain cover. Most books and manuals dont show these bolts.

Remove the 20? timing chain cover bolts (in order) and take off cover. Wood shims help when prying off cover as the RTV seal is usually pretty stuck. Do not pry with screwdrivers or you may damage the cover.

You will then need to remove the timing chain tensioner. Then remove timing chain guides. Be sure to install the guides properly. BEFORE REMOVING CHAIN, be sure to have the #1 piston at top dead center (TDC) and mark the old timing chain on both of the camshaft brackets and the crankshaft bracket. If you install this improperly your timing will be of and your pistons will hit your valves causing severe damage. If you are unsure if you installed it correctly take a wrench and once the chain is back on and secured, turn the crankshaft around several times. If it spins freely (there will be tension on the crankshaft) and it does not become hard to turn, chances are its on correctly. If motor is hard to turn, check that pistons are not hitting the valves.

To install, be sure to remove all traces of old RTV gasket on the timing cover before applying more. Tighten chain cover bolts in proper order. Then install all removed parts.

IF YOU ARE ATTEMPING THIS, I highly suggest getting a repair manual at the local autoparts store as this helps 95%. The other 5% comes from looking at all the bolts and trying to reach them. Its much better left to the professionals and will save you headaches and much much time and frustration.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

This link you can download a repair manual. password is "pdftown.com". Not the greatest but it will show you what needs to be done.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 AT 5:28 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides