1996 Infiniti I30 Replacing Head Gasket - need help

96INFINITII30
  • 1996 INFINITI I30
So i've under taken repairing the head gasket on possibly the worse car to do it on. Not great for a first timer.

Well I'll get right to it. I need to know how to remove the timing chain case cover. I removed all the bolts and have removed the alternator and steering pump. It does not appear anything is blocking it, but it seems to not want to come loose from the bottom half of the case (around the crankcase pulley. I removed the pulley also. Is there something else I need to look for or a trick to getting it loose? I've used a rubber mallet and a plastic screwdriver on the desginated spots the case has on it where its made to break the liquid gasket seal used on there. The top of the case is loose, not the bottom. (I do have a haynes repair manual, just hard to follow as it has me jumping section to section and doing things that ((I believe)) I do not need to do such as remove the a/c compressor)

Also:

If my plugs are white, thats a sign of a failed head gasket?

When I removed the radiator and pulled the small (not the upper and lower main) hoses, transmission fluid came out. That is normal correct? The transmission fluid was NOT inside with the coolant, just on two smaller hoses on the very bottom of the radiator.

Any help on this or anything you can see in the future of this head gasket replacement would be greatly appreciated!

Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 7:23 PM

TRIKEEROSS
Theres two bolts in the oil pan
Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 5:19 AM