CAR STALLING

1996 Infiniti I30

cnmuthana

February, 5, 2010 AT 2:33 AM

1996 Infiniti I30 6 cyl Automatic 135000 miles

I bought this car used in 2008. It stalled frequently, I took it in and got the MAF sensor changed. It ran fine for a year but late 2009 it started stalling again, I got the fuel regulator changed and it ran well until a month ago. It has started stalling again. It stalls when at low RPMs (stop signs) or even going at a slow speed (Stalls often in school zones). In order to restart the car, I have to put it in neutral, rev the engine and then throw it in drive, causing the car to jerk violently. In addition to this when on the freeway, the cars rpms waiver a lot making the car jerk constantly. Often, when my car stalls and I attempt to put it in drive theres is a considerable delay between me pushing on the pedal and the car moving, sometimes as long as 6-7 seconds.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

February, 5, 2010 AT 10:16 AM

Hi cnmuthana,

Thank you for the donation.

Was the MAF replaced new?
Is the Check Engine Light showing?
Did you try to retrieve for trouble codes?

From the symptoms descrided, most probably you have an idling issue.

If no CEL or trouble codes exist, get a can of carb cleaner and clean the MAF, Idle Air Auxilarry valve and throttle body and retest.

cnmuthana

February, 5, 2010 AT 8:46 PM

Thanks for your speedy response. I do not know the condition of the MAF sensor. The check engine light is not showing and there are no codes wither. I was wondering if this could be a fuel pump issue. My fuel economy is VERY bad since the stalling started, and the exhaust smells pretty rich.

February, 6, 2010 AT 8:47 AM

If exhaust smell rich it should not be a fuel pump issue. It could be injectors or the fuel regulator.

However as it stalls only while idling, I believe it is due to the idling system which are mostly related to dirty throttle body and IAAC. A dirty or faulty MAF would cause the problem as well.

Get them cleaned as it would not cost much and it would improve on the engine performance even if they are not the main cause.