Engine does not heat up to operating temperature

95HEAVY CHEVY
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I cannot get the engine to heat up to a proper temperature (blows cold air through vents/temperature gauge never moves past 15%).

I have had a low operating temperature for a month now.
I have changed the oil, thermostat, and flushed the coolant. And burped the system.

Just noticed today that my radiator fan is running on high. Thus, it has been constantly pumping coolant into my cold engine. But why?

Which steps should I take next?
Any input is going to be cherished.

Thanks anyone.

Friday, January 12th, 2018 AT 1:52 PM

HEYMAN1104
  • 784 POSTS

Your radiator fan is a mechanical clutch driven fan. Basically, it is always running when the engine is running. If the temperature gauge is not getting to operating temperature, then I would say get another thermostat. It is possible you got a dud and it is stuck open.

As a test, you can put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator (to block air flow through the radiator and help warm the engine up). Then let it run a while and see if the temperature gauge goes up more than it has been and try the heat. If the gauge goes up and the heat works, then you just confirmed that either there is too much airflow (essentially impossible with clutch fans) or the coolant is flowing freely (bad thermostat).

See what you find and let us know.

Good luck.

+1
Friday, January 12th, 2018 AT 7:59 PM