TEMP. GAUAGE MOVES FROM COLD-NORMAL-HO

2001 Hyundai Tiburon

lilkbt

July, 31, 2009 AT 9:17 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Hyundai Tiburon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 197000 miles

I had a new radiator, thermostat, all my belts and hoses put in 1 year ago and my coolant system was flush and air condition check 10 months ago. I had a new transmission put in Feb. 2009. However, I recently notice my car temp gauge will start off on Cold then go to normal then go up to hot them move back to normal this continues and then after about a few minutes sometmes it will stay on normal. This doesn't seem to effect the performance of my car and my air condition works good still. The engine light has not come on and my fluid levels appear good. I am not leaking any fluids. There are no smells or noises and my fan is working good. My husband just replace the thermostat within the last 24 hours. But I have not test the car. I wanted to know whatelse it could be if the replaces thermostat doesn't correct the problem.

July, 31, 2009 AT 9:41 PM

If not the thermostat could be the engine temperature gauge switch or the coolant temperature sensor or the gauge itself

lilkbt

July, 31, 2009 AT 10:41 PM

Where is the engine temperature gauge switch or the coolant temperature sensor located? Wouldn't a light come on for either?
When you say the gauge itself do you mean the temp gauge?

Could it be the water pump if the thermastat replacement didn't fix the problem?

I did forget to add that onetime when it went from hot back to normal and then back to hot I cut on the air condition and it went back to normal and stayed.

August, 1, 2009 AT 4:47 AM

Is your cooling fan coming On not the AC condenser fan

lilkbt

August, 1, 2009 AT 7:43 AM

Yes both fans come on.

Do you think it could be the water pump?

August, 1, 2009 AT 1:18 PM

Are you actually overheating or just the temperature gauge reading. If you're overheating could be the radiator is clogged or the water pump. If both are okay could be airlock in the system try bleeding it. Now if it continues get it blcok and pressure tested.

One way to test for a bad water pump is to squeeze the upper radiator hose when the engine is hot and idling. Careful, because the hose will be HOT! If you do not feel much coolant circulating through the hose when you rev the engine, the pump may be bad. The other cause might be a bad thermostat that is not opening properly (remove and inspect the thermostat), or a clogged radiator.

lilkbt

August, 2, 2009 AT 5:39 AM

My temperature gauge reading is going to hot area and moves back and forth between normal and hot car is not overheating.

August, 2, 2009 AT 6:27 PM

You need test the engine temperature gauge switch

On left rear of engine, on coolant outlet.

lilkbt

August, 3, 2009 AT 5:28 AM

How do you know when you water pump is going out

August, 3, 2009 AT 2:19 PM

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage