STALL AFTER DRIVING

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

JLAR

July, 21, 2008 AT 2:31 PM

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72035 miles

OUR SANTA FE STALLED ON MY WIFE AFTER DRIVING ABOUT 20 MILES. VEHICLE WOULD NOT RESTART, BUT WOULD CRANK. AFTER ABOUT 30 MIN. THE VEHICLE TURNED OVER AND RAN WHILE SHE WAS WAITING FOR THE TOW SERVICE, ONCE SHE PRESSED THE GAS IT SHUT OFF. I REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY, BUT ON THE WAY HOME, I TRAVELED ABOUT 4 MILES AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED. TOTAL LACK OF POWER AND THEN SPUTTERED AND SHUT OFF, WOULD NOT RESTART.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

July, 21, 2008 AT 4:55 PM

Hi JLAR,

Thanks for the donation.

You have replaced the fuel pump so we now need to verify if it is mechanical, electrical or fuel pressure that is causing the problem

Was the engine temperature high at the time it happened? Check if the coolant level in the radiator is correct. Hope it is not due to overheating.

Check for sparks at the plugs when cranking.

Spray some starting fluid into the throttle body and crank if it starts, Yes = fuel pressure or injector problem. No = spark problem

Was the Check engine light showing before or when the engine stalled?

JLAR

July, 22, 2008 AT 7:16 AM

ALREADY CHECKED COOLANT WAS PROPER, THOUGH PROOBLEM ONLY SEEMS TO HAPPEN WHEN ENGINE IS WARM, PREFORMED TUNE UP(PLUGS AND WIRES) @ 60000 MI. SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT DID COME ON WHEN IT SPUTTERED JUST SECONDS BEFORE DYING. CODES WERE P0355 AND P0446 CRANK POSISTION AND EVAP. WAS SUGGESTED TO ME TO REPLACE CRANK SENSOR, BUT THERE ARE APPARENTLY 2, AND WAS TOLD TO REPLACE TIMING BELT AND BALANCE BELT AND WATER PUMP WHILE CHANGING CTP. DEALER WANTS AROUND 1500-2000 DOLLARS. NEED SECOND OPINION AND SOME HELP.
THANKS SOOOO MUCH IN ADVANCE.
JERODE

July, 22, 2008 AT 8:07 AM

Hi JLAR,

There is only one crank sensor, the other is the cam sensor. Electrical and electronic components are unpredictable so if one is faulty replace it. But if it involves doing the same job over again, might as well get it all done up.

The mileage for the timing belt is due so it is advisable for it to be replaced.

The dealer price would be higher but the quality is assured.

JLAR

July, 22, 2008 AT 8:47 AM

I FULLY UNDERSTAND YOUR REASONING, BUT REALLY DIDN'T REALLY GET YOUR OPINNION. DEALER HASN'T SEEN THE VEHICLE, BUT GAVE THE OPINION IN THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

July, 22, 2008 AT 10:31 AM

Hi JLAR,

Without looking at the car but based on the mileage, I too more or less agree with the timing belt replacement.

The crank sensor code was detected by the ECM so you should get it replaced and worry about the others after you get the car running.

JLAR

July, 22, 2008 AT 11:40 AM

SO THE CRANKSHAFT POSISTION SONSOR CAN MAKE THE VEHICLE STALL AND NOT RESTART?

July, 22, 2008 AT 9:01 PM

Hi JLAR,

Yes, if it fails, engine would crank but won't fire.