WON'T SHIFT INTO GEAR

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

rflusher

May, 23, 2010 AT 12:03 PM

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

I keep the oil changed regularly and have changed the automatic transmission fluid three times. While I was accelerating slowly the car seemed to have shifted out of gear. This happened without warning, or any type of grinding, popping noises of any type. This happened so suddenly and without warning the engine started to race and I thought I had by accident moved it into neutral. The only gears that appear to be working are park and neutral. All other do not, drive, 1st gear and reverse all fail with no response and the engine will race when you give it gas. I immediately checked the fluid level (engine running and normal operating temperature) and the fluid was red and clear with no indication of excessive wear. The check engine light is not on.

Jacobandnickolas

May, 24, 2010 AT 6:36 AM

It could be a trans control module, but with that many miles, it may be time for a rebuild. Honestly, if it happened all at once, I would recommend having it looked at by a trans shop. It could be a computer issue and for some reason the computer isn't picking it up.

Let me know if you have questions.

rflusher

May, 24, 2010 AT 6:32 PM

I am baffled that the check engine light isn't on. One would think if it is the transmission control module blew out the engine light would come on. Even if the transmission itself blew you would think the the engine light would come on. My next thought is do you think if I went and rented a OBD II sensing unit and plugged it in I would get some useful information even though the check engine light isn't on.

Jacobandnickolas

May, 24, 2010 AT 9:32 PM

It wouldn't hurt to try. However, if the light isn't on chances are you won't get any, but as I mentioned, it doesn't hurt to try.

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz