ENGINE ISSUE WITH SONATA

Hyundai

BigDaddy0330

April, 5, 2006 AT 8:09 AM

Helllo - I have a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. It's been running fine until a month or two ago, when it started having some issues. I would drive down a hill each day in the morning, applying the break while letting off the gas. When I am at the bottom of the hill and start applying the gas, nothing would happen. The car pauses and then literally kicks into gear. I noticed this problem mainly seemed to happen when it was cold outside. But now it's happened other times - it happened this morning, and then the engine malfunction light came on. I'm sure what the problem is.

Mis Fire -

peppermrj

April, 5, 2006 AT 12:13 PM

First thing to do is to have the codes pulled. Some chain autoparts stores will even do this for free.

An OBDII handheld code reader will soon become the first tool in anyone's toolbox. Might not be a bad investment.

When you attempt to accelerate from a stop does the engine race and then kick into gear? If so check the transmission fluid level. Might also consider having it and the filter changed.

If the engine does nothing when the gas pedal is depressed consider replacing the fuel filter and testing the TPS (throttle position sensor).

Good luck and let us know. : )