2001 HYUNDAI ELANTRA BATTERY CABLE STUCK?

• 1cor47
  • 2001 Hyundai Elantra

2001 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87,000 miles

I have been trying to remove the positive battery cable. It is different than normal cable connecters I am used to. It has a cup shaped head that fits down over the terminal and has a bolt sticking out of the top on which you loosen a nut. This is the only means I can see of loosening the head to remove it from the terminal but I have actually removed the nut and tapped and pryed and done everything I can think of to loosen the head and it still won't come off. I also tryed the baking soda/water solution to break down corrosion. Either it is so badly corroded that it is stuck on or I am doing something wrong in trying to loosen the head to remove it. I feel like I'm going to break the terminal right out of the battery if I pry any harder. Any ideas or experienced advice from anyone else who has used this type of cable would be appreciated.

Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 3:19 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi 1cor47,

Seems the terminal is stuck rather tight.

Reinstall the bolt and tighten it slightly. Release the bolt about 4 turns and tap at the bolt gently while trying to twist the cable to get it loose.

Saturday, October 10th, 2009 AT 1:02 PM