Engine Performance problem
1996 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic
For the past 3 mths, I've been having starting problems! I've narrowed down the problem to be carbon foul plugs. Each time I replaced them the cars starts fine and performs ok for approx. 2-3 weeks before I have to change the plugs again. It now appears the problem is getting worst since the plugs lifespan are getting shorter and shorter. Need advice!
Observations/parts changed thus far:
1) Compression checked- all cylinders above 170psi.
2) Dry black appearance of plugs.
3) Rich fuel smell at exhaust when idling.
4) Coolant being force out of system via reservoir.
5) Replaced crankshaft sensor, gas pressure regulator, coil pack, ECT sensor and air filter.
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 3:29 PM