ENGINE OVERHEATED

2001 Hyundai Accent

lucia_amanda

November, 21, 2008 AT 10:31 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 76,000 miles

My boyfriend changed the thermostat on my car today, and when I was driving to work, the car overheated and died. What could be the problem?

bluelightnin6

November, 21, 2008 AT 11:05 PM

Was it overheating prior to thermostat replacement?
If no, ensure thermostat is installed correctly and no loose connections anywhere.

lucia_amanda

November, 22, 2008 AT 12:08 AM

Hi, no it was not overheating before this, It just wasn't blowing very warm air when I had the heat on, that's why he changed the thermostat. I noticed after driving for about 15 minutes that the the thermostat was off the chart, and I was looking for a place to pull over, when the car stalled and all the engine lights came on.

bluelightnin6

November, 22, 2008 AT 12:32 AM

Well it sounds like something was not plugged up correctly with the thermostat. Have it checked out and do not drive the vehicle anywhere until overheating issue is fixed. If he didn't unplug the battery before installing new thermostat it is possible that the relay/fuse may have been blown during installation/removal. Check your fuses and relays for a quick solution.

lucia_amanda

November, 22, 2008 AT 12:51 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions, I don't think I will let him work on my car anymore!

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer