BURNING OIL

2001 Hyundai Accent

Aube002

March, 11, 2009 AT 1:51 PM

Smells problem
2001 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 15000o miles

My 02 Accent doesnt go 4500kms without having the oil light come on. I smell oil burning in the car occasionally and when I leave in the morning I see blue smoke from the exhaust. What can be done?

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

ImpalaSS

March, 11, 2009 AT 7:48 PM

Hello -

Blue Smoke: Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. Just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe.

If you smell it and the oil light is coming on, you might check the oil level to make sure it is okay before you burn the engine up.

It may also be leaking out side onto say the heads, exhaust manifold etc thus making you smell it more.

The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil.

Your valve seals may be totally shot or the piston rings may be severally worn.

It seems to be burning so much that has prevented proper performance of your vehicle. I am sure if you pulled a plug or two the would be oil fouled.

You will need to get this fixed for proper operation of your vehicle.

ImpalaSS

March, 24, 2009 AT 10:08 PM

Hello -

By the way, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_recalls_2.jpg

Crankcase Ventilation System
Oil Life Reset Light Honda Civic 2006-2011
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler