How to disable the alarm

TSTRAYER
  • 2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

Key FOB appears to be broken, changed battery and still doesnt work. Dont want to spend money on new key and would like to just disarm the alarm. How can I do this? 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Friday, April 11th, 2014 AT 6:52 AM

2CARPROS KEN

To disable the alarm without the key fob lift the hood and then lock the doors with one window open.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-open-a-car-hood

and disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/everything-goes-dead-when-engine-is-cranked

Then reconnect the battery and open the door using the key on the drivers side. this will disable the alarm system.

Here is a guide that can help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Please let us know what happens

Cheers, Ken

-1
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 AT 3:41 PM
HGREE3
  • 2000 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

Is there a way to completely disable the security at home, like wiring? A way to remove the key lock security that is preventing start up?

Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 AT 3:41 PM (Merged)

If you could do that, so could a car thief, so what would be the point of having it? The system should be disarmed by unlocking either front door with the key. If that does not work, suspect broken wires between the door hinges.

HGREE3

The system is not reading the key. I was just wondering if there would be any way to disarm it, atleast to get the car to a garage for proper fixing?

I would inquire first at the dealer's parts department to see if they can make you another key. The original selling dealer keeps the key codes on file for at least seven years. After that, and any other dealer can access the information from Chrysler's web site. They only need the vehicle ID number, and possibly proof of ownership if you have never had the vehicle worked on there before.

+1
EMEY1217
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

How do I disarm or reset the alarm system. The only thing that quiets it is to disconnect the battery terminals

Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 AT 3:42 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH

It depends if this is a factory or aftermarket system. Try locking and unlocking the truck from either the driver's door or the rear hatch using the key.

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2002 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee mileage: 75,000. I disengaged the battery to check the water pump and after I hooked the battery back up, I noticed my alarm was "tweaking." I tried to take the Jeep to town, but it kept cutting out on me which is the anti-theft part of the alarm. How can I reset it to where I can drive the vehicle? I turned the valet switch off and then on, but nothing happened.

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES

Try locking and unlocking the rear hatch or drivers door. This should reset your security system.

-2
CAJESPERSEN
  • 1993 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

I had mechanic put new computer in cause it would not start now it starts for 3 sec. Then shuts off the dealership says I have to replace that same computer along with another one too but if I go to junkyard can I get the two computers from same jeep and switch them out with mine or how can I disable the security so it can drive without shutting off thank you chris

Do you have the factory anti-theft system on your Jeep? I don't know if a '93 model was already using the Chrysler electronics but if it is, and you do not have the factory anti-theft system, you MUST use a used Body Computer from another vehicle that also did not have it. If you have the anti-theft system, you can use any computer from the salvage yard, but from then on, that computer will only work on another car that also has the anti-theft system. DO NOT borrow a friend's Engine Computer or Body Computer if his car doesn't have the anti-theft system.

Both computers have anti-theft programming that can not be undone. If your car does not have the anti-theft system, you must find a used computer from a donor car that also did not have anti-theft, and that can be impossible to find out from the salvage yard since there's no easy way to tell unless the car was running when it was brought in. Even then, they might not have bothered to find out.

When you install either the Body Computer or the Engine Computer with anti-theft programming into your car without anti-theft, the new computer will teach it to the other one. A Body Computer will teach it to the Engine Computer or a replacement Engine Computer will teach it to the Body Computer. At that point the car will not start because both computers are waiting for the disarm signal that's never coming. Both computers will have to be replaced at the same time. If you just replace one of them, it will immediately learn the anti-theft programming from the other one as soon as the ignition switch is turned on.

If you buy a remanufactured Body Computer from the dealer, it will come without the anti-theft programming. It will work in any car as soon as it is installed and will self-program itself for anti-theft only if the system is on the car, when it learns it from the Engine Computer.

ATTICUS0420
  • 1993 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that is having "issues". I get in it to start it and it doesn't even turn over, then the lights start flashing and the interior security light starts blinking. I have to get out of the car, lock the door, unlock the door to disable the security, then try to start it again. I have to do this over, and over, and over, until finally the jeep starts. It almost acts as if there is a kill switch that is screwing up and preventing me from starting the car. The thing is, I had a mechanic friend of mine look at it and he says there is not a kill switch. What the heck is going on and how can I fix this cheaply. Money is definitely an issue.

JEEPGUY66

I was told the security system is at fault, and would need to be replace! Only choice is to do what you are doing and enter with key through passenger door.

-2