Electrical issues with keyless entry and others

PHILLYA85
  • 2006 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
I installed aux lights today and in the process I blew a fuse for the power windows/locks/dome lights. I fixed this fuse in area 20 it was a 10amp fuse and these all started to work again.

Now my keyless entry will no longer work. I rent through the programming steps I found online and these do not seem to work. Both my normal and spare key will not work. While checking everything else the only other problem I see is my digital compass on my dash no longer displays. The temp and all other info displays.

I checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash and from what I see they are all good.

I unplugged the neg from the battery for about 5 mins and hooked it back up and this did not seem to help at all. Not sure what it could be.
Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 3:44 AM

Just when we thought the engineers couldn't get more insane with their use of computers to perform simple, common sense functions that don't require those computers, they still did manage to screw up our electrical systems even more. If you added a factory light package designed for your vehicle, the Body Computer and / or Integrated Power Module has to be reprogrammed by the dealer to know those lights are there, otherwise it won't turn on the power for them.

Blowing a fuse removed power from the computer, just like removing the battery cable, and can cause various computers to lock up. The engineers made it so we can have all kinds of problems from simply replacing the battery. That used to be simple, normal maintenance. The place to start is by visiting the dealer to have them connect their scanner to unlock any computers and to program in any new functions.

If you're referring to fog lights, keep in mind a lot of us feel they're rude and obnoxious, and they blind oncoming traffic. If it were up to me, I'd make them illegal except for use in fog.

Holler back with what you find out at the dealer.
Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 4:37 AM
PHILLYA85
Fixed! After looking around I found another post about the compass not working. It showed the IOD fuse being blown. I never checked this as the fuses were in a special looking harness. I thought they were spares locked in. This is located in the fuse box under the hood closed to the front of the truck.

I pulled them out and there is a 20 and 15 amp fuse. The 15 was blown. I replaced this, got in the truck and turned it on. Digital compass was now active, radio stayed on after the key was removed until the door was open, and! The keyless entry worked again. Glad I waited a little longer and kept looking on the internet for something. Dealership wanted 90 bucks to hook it up to their machine. If I paid 90 to get told about a fuse I would've needed counseling. I hope this info will help someone in the future.
+2
Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 9:58 PM
Wonderful news. Are the lights you added working?

The fuses you're referring to are in yellow holders. Those are handles, and they're meant to be pulled out if the vehicle will be in storage for more than three weeks. That turns off the "ignition off draw" for the computer memories. Since they are expected to be removed at times, no reprogramming of any computer should be needed and they shouldn't lock up. Very happy it was a simple fix and you found it.
Saturday, September 3rd, 2011 AT 1:25 AM