Welcome to 2CarPros.
Here are the directions for replacing the rack. Any specialized tooling (SST) is indicated in the directions. Other than the SST, the standards will be needed, sockets, wrenches, screw drivers and so on. All of the attached pictures correlate with the directions.
2004 Buick LeSabre V6-3.8L VIN K
Power Steering Gear Replacement
Vehicle Steering and Suspension Steering Steering Gear Service and Repair Procedures Power Steering Gear Replacement
POWER STEERING GEAR REPLACEMENT
Power Steering Gear Replacement
J42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin
J24319-B Universal Steering Linkage Puller
1. Lock the steering column by installing J42640 into the underside of the steering column.
2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
3. Remove the tires and wheels.
4. Remove the power steering gear heatshield.
Caution: Failure to disconnect the Intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear and/or intermediate shaft. This damage can cause loss of steering control which could result in personal injury.
Notice: The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the coil assembly in the steering column to become uncentered which will cause damage to the coil assembly.
5. Remove the intermediate shaft lower pinch bolt coupling.
6. Disconnect the intermediate shaft from the power steering gear.
7. Remove the outer tie rods retaining nuts.
8. Using the J24319-B separate the outer tie rods from the steering knuckles.
9. Remove the power steering pressure and return hoses (1 & 2) from the power steering gear.
10. If equipped, disconnect the variable effort steering electrical connector.
11. Remove the left stabilizer shaft insulator.
12. Disconnect the tie rod ends from the knuckles.
13. Remove the power steering-gear mounter bolts.
14. Remove the power steering gear through the left wheel opening.
15. Transfer the outer tie rods if replacing the power steering gear.
1. Install the power steering gear through the left wheel opening.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
2. Install the power steering gear mounting bolts.
Tighten the power steering gear mounting bolts to 95 Nm (70 ft. Lbs.).
3. Install the left stabilizer shaft insulator.
4. Install the power steering pressure and return hoses (1 & 2) to the power steering gear.
Tighten the power steering pressure and return hoses to 30 Nm (22 ft. Lbs.).
5. If equipped, connect the variable effort steering electrical connector.
6. Install the outer tie rod (1) to the steering knuckles.
7. Install the outer tie Rod retaining nuts.
Tighten the outer tie rod retaining nuts to 70 Nm (52 ft. Lbs.).
8. Connect the intermediate shaft to the power steering gear.
9. Install the intermediate shaft lower pinch bolt.
Tighten the intermediate shaft lower pinch bolt to 45 Nm (33 ft. Lbs.).
10. Install the tires and wheels.
11. Lower the vehicle.
12. Remove the J42640 from the steering column.
13. Bleed the power steering system.
14. Check the power steering system for leaks.
15. Adjust the front toe.
Let me know if this is what you needed or if you have other questions.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 AT 7:41 PM