Oil change interval: mileage vs. Time

VONV
  • HONDA PRELUDE
I own a 1995 Honda Prelude that I barely drive. It is more of a weekend vehicle which I drive maybe once a month. It has Mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 in it now. It has been 9 months and 1600 miles since my last oil change with Mobile 1 synthetic. When should I take it in for another oil change if I barely put in 3000 miles in a year? What is the max life of Mobile 1 synthetic oils or any synthetic oil before they stop providing lubrication? I know that the recommendation is 3 months or 3000 or so miles for oil changes, but what is the reality in my situation. Thank you in advance for your response.
Thursday, August 30th, 2007 AT 9:58 AM

SERVICE WRITER
The Mobil one site has their recommendations. http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Change_Reminder.aspx

My Mother-in-law is in a similiar situation. I change her's every 6000 miles/ 6 months.

I'm up in the northern United States. Not driving much and or getting it heated up good creates a situation that moisture doesn't burn off. Obviously mositure in the engine isn't good.
Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 AT 5:30 AM