2000 Honda Prelude EGR

JET4ANG
  • 2000 HONDA PRELUDE

2000 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

I replaced my EGR valve and still get error 401 after a few miles. The check engine light comes on mainly when I deccelerate. Could this be a faulty solenoid or vacume leak? The motor only has 10000 mi. On it.

Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 12:23 PM

WRENCHTECH

That is a "low flow" code. That is usually caused by a plugged up EGR passage through the throttle body.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 12:45 PM
JET4ANG

So what you're saying is that replacing the EGR was unecessary? It was full of carbon. Is there any way to clean that or are we talking another teardown? I just had the engine rebuilt over the summer.
Thank you for your reply BTW. I can't seem to get any answers from these parts of Minnesota.

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 8:17 PM
WRENCHTECH

Yes, the EGR valve was probably unnecessary. You have to locate the passage and dig all the carbon out of it. It may turn into a small passage at one point exiting into the throttle body. A coathanger usually works. You may have to remove part of the throttle body. I'm not real familiar with the exact location of that one.

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM