1999 HONDA PRELUDE THERMOSTAT

• GEMINI85
  • 1999 HONDA PRELUDE

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125930 miles

My mechanic recently removed the failed thermostat from my car. He suggested I don't replace it. My car gets hot only when i'm at a red light, stop sign, or in traffic. Is this an issue in need of a new thermostat or is it normal? Lately the outside temperature in Texas is upper 90's in the afternoon, where my car heats up.

Saturday, June 19th, 2010 AT 10:38 AM

• KHLow2008

Hi GEMINI85,

The thermostat is for getting the best optimal operating temperature of the engine and SHOULD NEVER be removed.

If it is bad, it should be replaced. Without the thermostat, the coolant are free flowing and that would result in inconsistent temperatures. When driving in heavy traffic, the radiator fan switch is delayed coming on as the radiator is being cooled fast and giving a false reading of the coolant temperature.

You would need to check if there are air trapped in system and if the cooling fans are operating correctly.

Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 2:36 PM
  • FONY67

Did the removal of the thermostat work? Please provide result

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:01 PM