THERMOSTAT

1999 Honda Prelude

GEMINI85

June, 19, 2010 AT 10:38 AM

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125930 miles

My mechanic recently removed the failed thermostat from my car. He suggested I don't replace it. My car gets hot only when i'm at a red light, stop sign, or in traffic. Is this an issue in need of a new thermostat or is it normal? Lately the outside temperature in Texas is upper 90's in the afternoon, where my car heats up.

June, 23, 2010 AT 2:36 PM

Hi GEMINI85,

The thermostat is for getting the best optimal operating temperature of the engine and SHOULD NEVER be removed.

If it is bad, it should be replaced. Without the thermostat, the coolant are free flowing and that would result in inconsistent temperatures. When driving in heavy traffic, the radiator fan switch is delayed coming on as the radiator is being cooled fast and giving a false reading of the coolant temperature.

You would need to check if there are air trapped in system and if the cooling fans are operating correctly.

FONY67

September, 28, 2012 AT 3:01 PM

Did the removal of the thermostat work? Please provide result

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser