IGNITION SWITCH

1998 Honda Prelude

lizpham

November, 2, 2009 AT 12:31 PM

1998 Honda Prelude Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Hello!

I have a 98 honda prelude which had an ignition switch recall; I had it replaced in Jan 09 at a honda dealer. When I got home after the repair, my key wouldn't come out so I took it back to the dealer and they determined that it was due to " worn ignition lock tumblers" which they replaced and therefore had to produce a new key.

As of 2 days ago, over 10 months later, my keys will not go into the ignition switch. I rocked the steering wheel back and forth, stepped on the brake, sprayed wd-40. Nothing. Towed it to the dealer and they are working on it now; however they implied that it may not be related the recall repair they performed. I beg to differ. Any insight, experience, suggestions you may have would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much for your time!

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

November, 2, 2009 AT 10:19 PM

Hi lizpham,

I would have to agree with the dealer.

Replacement of the ignition switch does not entail removing or workig with the ignition lock directly. The switch is attached to the rear of the lock cylinder and removing the holding screws would enable the switch to be removed and replaced.

If the key cylinder is worn internally, refitting with new key tumblers would not last as there are too much wear on the internal parts. The lock itself would have to be replaced.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011