PS FLUID GOING INTO TRANS

1989 Honda Prelude

henryhepburn

September, 2, 2009 AT 2:31 PM

Steering problem
1989 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 153, 00 miles

On my 89 Prelude 2.0si FI there are some low pressure lines going to an adapter of some kind on the trans where the speedo cable connects. The lines come from a double TEE above the rack in back of the trans, and some low pressure PS lines connect there. I don't know why the PS lines connect there but there must be some kind of internal leak because the PS fluid is ending up in the tranny. Is the manual trans cooled by the PS fluid internally? The double Tee also connects directly to a line from the main part of the rack where the high pressure line connects, and one line from the trans adapter looks like it connects via these lines to the front cooler in a round about way I guess. It's difficult to trace all these lines in such a small place. Is there any chart I can get to make sure all these lines are properly connected. This car has alwayd had a PS leak, sometimes more than others at different times. Sometimes it went weeks without leaking. I finally got the rack changed and now it uses almost a quart in 2 days. This is crazy, I gotta get this right, This is turning out to be one complicated car. Thanks for any help!

September, 2, 2009 AT 2:55 PM

Hi henryhepburn,

Thank you for the donation.

Here is a description of the system.

DESCRIPTION
The power steering system is rack and pinion type. Power assistance is proportional to both vehicle speed and steering load. The power assist is high when vehicle speed is low, and low when vehicle speed increases.
The speed sensor is a trochoid-rotor hydraulic pump that is driven by a speedometer gear in the transmission. When the vehicle is in motion the speed sensor pump relieves a portion of the hydraulic pressure which reduces the amount of power assist to the steering. System consists of a power rack and pinion steering gear, steering pump, fluid filter/reservoir, control unit, vehicle speed sensor, cooler lines and hoses.

The PS fluid is leaking past the VSS into the trans and this part is non serviceable. A replacement is necessary.

I only managed to get a circuit diagram of the system and hope it is helpful.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_SteeringHydraulicCircuit89PreludeFig12_1.jpg

Page 1 of 1 STEERING SYSTEM - POWER - 1989 Honda Prelude Si
3/9/2009

henryhepburn

September, 2, 2009 AT 6:34 PM

Excellant, now I know where I stand. Thanks very much for the helpful info! I think I can find one in a local salvage yard.

September, 3, 2009 AT 12:16 PM

You are welcomed. Glad to be of service.

Thank you for using 2carpros.

henryhepburn

September, 9, 2009 AT 10:48 PM

Well all I can say is,, I must have gotten lucky, thanks to you guys. You definately pointed me in the right direction . Thanks for that! I checked with the dealer and found that to replace the sensor would cost $248. So I deciced to just go and do what I was going to do any way. Not being able to locate a used one I took mine apart , it literally fell apart, couldn't have been easier. I was able to acquire a replacement seal and VOILA, The seal dimensions are 16mmx8mmx7mm. I just have to re-install the sensor back into the car in the morning. The lower seal was definately shot. It's been leaking for a while but my attention wasn't brought to it until I replaced the rack and pinion which had been leaking from both sides for quite a while.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/337934_DSC01329_1.jpg

henryhepburn

September, 9, 2009 AT 10:52 PM

Here's a closer look at the seal

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/337934_DSC01333_2.jpg

September, 10, 2009 AT 8:55 AM

Good for you and glad you have solved the problem.

Cheers : )

Thank you for using 2carpros.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right