MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT MYSTERY

2003 Honda Pilot

apjev

March, 1, 2010 AT 8:55 PM

2003 Honda Pilot 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

My 2003 Honda Pilot has been having its' Malfunction Indicator Light as well as the VTM-4 light come on over the past 8 months. It has been to 2 mechanics, 1 of them being the Honda dealership. When the codes are checked, it comes back as the fuel injector having misfires. We had a fuel injector replaced and the next week, the MIL came back on and the code was for a misfire on the new fuel injector. We were also told it could be carbon build up. So some(not sure which) pipes have been cleaned out on 4 occasions, each time, the problem comes back within a week or so. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what was your solution? Please help!

March, 4, 2010 AT 9:53 AM

Hi apjev,

What was the exact trouble code retrieved?

Apart from the injector, was anything else replaced?

apjev

March, 11, 2010 AT 8:17 AM

In August of last year, the EGR valve was replaced and the passage where carbon buildup occurs was cleaned out. In September, misfires were still happening. The notes on my receipt say codes 301, 302, and 304. Not sure if that is correct though. In November, my spark plugs were replaced and a week later my Fuel injector #1 was replaced. In December, the fuel injectors were cleaned and the valve covers were removed to adjust. In January, the fuel injectors were cleaned out again. In February, an induction cleaner was used to soak the pistons and valves for 2 days. My car still runs bad and the VTM-4 and the malfunction indicator light still are on. It is getting worse and worse and I'm not sure what to do next! I just want to fix it. Please help if you know anything.

March, 11, 2010 AT 9:36 AM

Autozone provides free scanning services. Get it done and let me know the exact trouble codes.

apjev

March, 11, 2010 AT 1:55 PM

The codes today are: P0300 for each fuel injector
and
P1399

Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

March, 11, 2010 AT 3:04 PM

P0300 is random misfire and P1399 is temporary code for misfiring.

I would suggest checking the ignition components such as spark plugs and ignition coils.