2003 HONDA ODYSSEY CATALYTIC CONVERTER

• shano
  • 2003 Honda Odyssey

Other Category problem
2003 Honda Odyssey 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 67800 miles

I took my car to the dealer b/c a mechanic told me it might need a new catalytic converter, which would be covered under warranty. The dealer said the cat is fine, but it needs a new B-pipe, which costs over $500 (p&l), and is NOT covered under the warranty. So, what is the B-pipe, and how do you tell if it needs to be replaced? Also, how can you tell if the cat needs to be replaced? (My car had passed inspection a few months ago and has no symptoms of problems.)

Monday, December 17th, 2007 AT 1:35 PM

• rasmataz

How can you tell if the cat needs to be replaced? (My car had passed inspection a few months ago and has no symptoms of problems.)

Get a gas analysis done before and after the catalytic converter this will tell if the converter is doing its job. As for the pipe do you hear an exhaust leak? Its a 2003 I don't think its collapse inside the pipe causing problems

Monday, December 17th, 2007 AT 1:45 PM
  • merlin2021

Two ways to check for a bad converter, most reliable way is backpressure test, the 02 sesnor is removed, backpressure gauge is inserted and a reading is taken, you can however rap on it with a rubber mallet, see if anything rattlles inside! The B pipe is probably the one just behind the cat, if it has even a small hole, the emmissions test will detect it.

Monday, December 17th, 2007 AT 1:47 PM