2005 HONDA ELEMENT ODOMETER DISPLAY ISSUE

• echoes35
  • 2005 Honda Element

2005 Honda Element 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

The odometer display does not light up. If I put a flashlight in front I can see the numbers but it does not light up.

Mechainc says the problem is that the light bulbs in back of the dashboard need to be replaced. I thought the odometer is an LED.

Is the problem the LED for the odometer or a fuse? How can I fix this myself? To expensive to have fixed. Warrantee will not cover this because it falls under light bulbs which are considered maintenance.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

echoes35

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 12:37 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi echoes35,

Odometer is LED and it is working. The torchlight that you used to read is the substitute for the LCD backlight bulb that has fused.

To replace the bulb you need to remove the meter cluster.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_BulbGauge05Element_1.jpg

Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 10:00 AM
  • echoes35

Thank you for your response.

On an avarage, how much would a mechanic or in this case CarMax repair should charge for this type of repair?

Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 7:04 PM
  • KHLow2008

The book time is listed at 0.8 hours. Multiply by your local rate to get the estimated labor cost.

Bulbs should not cost much.

Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 6:46 AM