2005 HONDA ELEMENT MY TRANSMISSION IS LOCKING

• 1sassi
  • 2005 Honda Element

2005 Honda Element 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

I keep my Honda maintained very well. (Regular oil changes, tire rotations, owner manual recommendations, etc.) Several weeks ago I got in to drive and my car would not go into gear from Park. I had to use the Manual release button for the gear shift to move. That happened a couple of times and then the problem ceased. However, now it will not go into gear from park EVER without using the manual release and when I am nearing a Stop while driving it sort of " thunks" into low gear. Can you help identify the problem? (The transmission fluid levels are fine and have been checked regularly with NO leakage).

Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 9:34 AM

• KHLow2008

Hi 1sassi,

Thank you for the donation.

Shifter stuck in Park is due to the interlock system malfunctioning. Check if the brake lights are turning on when the brake pedal is depressed.

The transmission thunking into low gear is a malfunction from the transmission but could be due to the Park Neutral Position ( PNP ) switch.

Are all the gear indicator lights showing correctly?
Is the Check Engine Light indicating?

Get a free scan done at Autozone to retrieve for trouble codes and let me know the exact code if any found.

Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 12:58 PM
  • 1sassi

Hi - sorry for the delay. The holiday weekend slowed things down! I just returned from Autozone and he said there are no trouble codes indicated. There are no trouble lights illuminated on the dash either.

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM
  • KHLow2008

Did you check if the brake lights are working?

When ignition is turned ON, does depressing the brake pedal result in a clicking noise near the gear shift?

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 2:30 PM
  • 1sassi

Yes - brakes lights working. No - no clicking noise.

However, my brake peddle doesn't " feel" right. It feels stiff (if that makes sense) It used to be a lot more supple when I depressed it - now it feels tight. Brake fluid levels are fine, no leaks under vehicle.

Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 2:07 PM
  • KHLow2008

No clicking noise indicates the shift interlock solenoid is not working. You would have to check the interlock system and test the solenoid.

A stiffer brake pedal could be due to a weak or leaking brake power booster.

Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 2:17 PM