2005 HONDA CRV NEW PADS ARE GRINDING

• bigbearsfan
  • 2005 Honda CRV

Brakes problem
2005 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

I just put new rotors and new pads on the rear of my wife's 2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD. The old pads were at less than 1mm and the rear rotors were not salvageable. Is the grinding we are hearing from the new pads a result of the thickness of the brand new pads or could there be an issue with the caliper? I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. Thanks for your help.

Ken

Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 3:40 PM

• Honda Tech 1818
  • 549 posts

Did you use OEM brake pads? Maybe your front brakes are making grinding noise.

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 1:37 AM
  • bigbearsfan

I used all Honda oem parts: rotors, pads, etc. I forgot to mention that I put new rotors and pads on the front as well and those parts were all Honda oem parts.

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 12:30 PM
  • Honda Tech 1818
  • 549 posts

When does the grinding occur, driving without stepping on the brakes or while braking? When does it happen? Check the dust plates make sure they are not bented or rubbing on something. Check the brake pad shims make sure they are align.

Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 12:21 AM
  • bigbearsfan

The grinding only comes from the back when the brakes are applied. It could be normal for Hondas to do this? I have never had this happen with any of my previous cars that I have put new pads on. I will take a look at them again to see what I can find.

Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 10:23 AM
  • Honda Tech 1818
  • 549 posts

No It's not normal for OEM parts to make grinding noise. Check the parking cable and rear calipers for binding.

Saturday, October 31st, 2009 AT 12:06 AM