2005 HONDA CR-V AWD KNOCKING WHEN TURN AT LOW SPEED

• cjbyr
  • 2005 Honda CRV

When turning at low speeds, as in parking lots and such, a knocking sound from the right rear wheel occurs. It was suggested that since the front wheels have slightly less tread, the rear is turning more of a radius and therefore unbalanced. Not too sure about that one, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks much for your help!

Monday, October 22nd, 2007 AT 5:25 PM

• Jack42

Could be a bearing or diff problem. Try lifting and supporting one side and spinning the wheel, see if it is smooth or makes any noise, try this on both rear wheels

Monday, October 22nd, 2007 AT 5:42 PM
  • cjbyr

Thanks for the reply. If it is a differential problem, can repair be costly? About how much?

Monday, October 22nd, 2007 AT 6:06 PM
  • lostinmars

Chances are the diff fluid needs changed. Also check to make sure the mounts for the rear diff are good.

This is a very common problem on the crv. The fluid wears out quickly. First indication is a noise while turning slowly. I've seen them so bad they have ripped out the diff mounts.

Monday, October 22nd, 2007 AT 10:11 PM
  • cjbyr

Thanks for the advice. I will post the outcome for future reference.

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2007 AT 8:02 AM
  • cjbyr

Well, I had the diff fluid changed and tires rotated, but best guess is it was the fluid. Thanks for the advice!

Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 AT 3:52 AM