CR-V AWD KNOCKING WHEN TURN AT LOW SPEED

2005 Honda CRV

cjbyr

October, 22, 2007 AT 5:25 PM

When turning at low speeds, as in parking lots and such, a knocking sound from the right rear wheel occurs. It was suggested that since the front wheels have slightly less tread, the rear is turning more of a radius and therefore unbalanced. Not too sure about that one, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks much for your help!

Jack42

October, 22, 2007 AT 5:42 PM

Could be a bearing or diff problem. Try lifting and supporting one side and spinning the wheel, see if it is smooth or makes any noise, try this on both rear wheels

cjbyr

October, 22, 2007 AT 6:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. If it is a differential problem, can repair be costly? About how much?

lostinmars

October, 22, 2007 AT 10:11 PM

Chances are the diff fluid needs changed. Also check to make sure the mounts for the rear diff are good.

This is a very common problem on the crv. The fluid wears out quickly. First indication is a noise while turning slowly. I've seen them so bad they have ripped out the diff mounts.

cjbyr

October, 23, 2007 AT 8:02 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will post the outcome for future reference.

cjbyr

October, 24, 2007 AT 3:52 AM

Well, I had the diff fluid changed and tires rotated, but best guess is it was the fluid. Thanks for the advice!

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy