CALIPER????

2003 Honda CRV

bethimey

October, 10, 2008 AT 1:46 PM

Brakes problem
2003 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 75700 miles

Dear Sirs,
I am at the point of frustration. I went to Midas to get my New York State Inspection sticker and failed inspection on my brakes. A year ago, to the day, I had brakes & rotors put on front and rear. I chose a NYS Registered repair person with 30+ years experience and he said he put on the best brakes that would last the longest. I drive only in town 5 miles daily on average if that. I'm not a big brake person since I have a cluch. My mechanic says I have no warranty on the brake job and it must be the caliper. He says it is common with this model and will have to be taken apart to inspect, lossen up or replace (more$$$). Midas says that nothing is wrong with the caliper since their is no blueing or purple. Midas says pads (come in package of 2) and rt rotor needs to be turned & machined( you will know what this means). I am besides myself because of conflicting stories and my budget as a single parent. Please, any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Beth

October, 14, 2008 AT 1:35 PM

Hi Beth,

Normally when brakes fails inspection without signs of overheating, it should be the slider bolts that are not functioning properly.

Tell the repair people to check the slider bolts for seizing due to insufficient lubrication.

Replace Your Brake Caliper Like a Pro
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer