1997 Honda CRV acidic smell

HORSECITY
  • 1997 HONDA CRV

Smells problem
1997 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

when I start the car there is a strong odor that is acidic and actually gags you. Note the airconditiontion and heater are turned off. If I turn the airconditioner on or turn the dial over to heat (even when vents are off-no fan) the smell is not noticable. The air conditioner does not give off cool air if I am Idleing and the engile lopes and clicks until I am on the gas pedal (only while I have airconditioner running not the heat) driving. I've stopped the car and opend the hood/no odor from engine.

Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 AT 10:27 AM

KHLOW2008

Hi horsecity,

When the idling speed is too low, the engine would surge as the compressor is clicking in and out.

As to then acidic smell, it is not possible to ascertain what it is and it is best to get it checked. Quite often we have complaints of bad smell when the blower is first turned on and it usually is from the evaporator.

Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 AT 11:47 AM