NORMAL COST FOR A TUNE-UP?

Honda Civic

grncivic

November, 5, 2006 AT 7:32 PM

Ok, I`m sure you`ve heard this one before.
My `99 Honda Civic LX missfired on the way to work recently and started skipping really bad along with the engine light flashing like crazy on the dash.
I took it to a nearby mechanic and was shocked when he qouted me $390! I asked him what the problem was and he simply told me that I needed a tune-up. I thought it was something major!?
I ended up buying the parts at Pep Boys and doing it myself for $75. Runs new again! Fortunatley I have had some exp. In changing out plugs, wires, and rotors. But $390. Come on! Is this a normal estimate?
I`m just glad that he was honest enough to tell me what was wrong. :

Timing/tuning Problem With A

Tuning

1 ANSWER

6E LUDE

November, 5, 2006 AT 7:42 PM

That is way over priced.
Never heard of a tune up for $390.
Its good to know that you can work on your own cars.
Ive been doing it for 8 years.

grncivic

November, 5, 2006 AT 8:15 PM

Yeah, as long as it is a fairly simple task I have no problem. I was raised on old domestic cars so fortunatly the basics still apply.
I just don t see how some of these con-artists can sleep at night knowing that they over charge unsuspecting victims. Karma is for real, so they need to recognize! : Twisted:

CarFreak

November, 6, 2006 AT 9:30 AM

I got my cap, rotor, wires all changed this weekend on my honda accord 98, 100K miles, for 125.

grncivic

November, 6, 2006 AT 12:27 PM

Yeah that s about what I was thinking that it should cost. That sounds like a good price. I would have been more than happy to let them work on my car if they had quoted me something like that.