IDLE JUMPING

Honda Civic

JOSER81

June, 23, 2006 AT 1:44 PM

HEY, I HAVE A 93 HONDA CIVIC HATCHBACK, I JUST HAD THE ENGINE SWAPED OUT AND REPLACED IT WITH A 1996 1.6 SOHC V-TEC ENGINEM, NOW MY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN IM AT A STAND STILL, MY IDLEING IS JUMPING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN 1000 AND 2500 RPMS NONE STOP. NOW MY BUDDY THAT SWAPED THE ENGINE FOR ME SAID THAT ITS MOST LIKEY HAPPENING BECAUSE I DIDN'T CHANGE ALL THE 93 COMPONENTS TO 96 COMPONENTS (COMPONENTS MEANING STARTER, DISTRIBUTOR, ETC.) SO I WAS WONDERING WHAT I WOULD NEED TO DO TO MAKE IT IDLE CORRECTLY, I THINK MY BUDDY JUST ADJUSTED THE SCREW TO THE MAF SENSOR TO MAKE IT IDLE STEADY, BUT NOW IT IDLES VARLY HIGH AT 1500 RPM'S. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Bruce Hunt

June, 25, 2006 AT 10:12 PM

Your buddy just pushed the idle up and shouldn't have. That made the computer happier but the root of the problem still exists. The complete component swap could be an issue, but did you replace the intake manifold or switch them by chance? I suspect that there is an intake manifold gasket leak.

Benz_Guy

June, 27, 2006 AT 11:17 PM

I'm with Bruce on this.

Check for a vacuum leak, the intake manifold gasket is a pretty common place for a leak.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma