SUDDENLY DIED WHILE DRIVING ON HIGHWAY

Honda Civic

lunceford

July, 4, 2007 AT 1:12 PM

1992 Honda Civic DX, 1.5ltr, 206K miles. Drives great or at lest it did till yesterday. Driving down highway for about 15 minutes and car suddenly died. Check Engine light came on is how I noticed it as well as no power.

My Troubleshooting: Checked timing belt, seems ok as there is tension and valves moving up and down when cranked over w/o valve cover on.

Replaced Ignition Control module, (AutoZone did diagnostics and said it was bad but I don't know as I will explain). This did not work, bought entire distributor which includes the coil & replaced rotor and cap. No difference. Still don't see any spark. I don't have digital diagnostic equip so I need old school techniques. Tried different wires and attaching to a new spark plug, cranked it over and tried to look for a spark. Saw nothing.
Next step was to look for fuel. Loosened the srew on top of the fuel filter, some fuel came out, but not a gush. Dont' know if the fuel pump may have gone out.

Help! What's next in my checkup. Oh, check all the fuses as well.

lunceford

July, 5, 2007 AT 7:21 AM

There doesn't seem to be any fuel coming out of the fuel line to the fuel filter. I was told that the fuel pump is engaged when the key is turned so fuel should have been pouring out. None came out even after being cranked. So, maybe coincidence that the ignition module and the fuel pump or main relay went bad at the same time?
Don't know which part it is yet. I did buy a digital multimeter and will attempt to test if power is going to the fuel pump. Any help in testing these two components is greatly appreciated.

chris24

July, 5, 2007 AT 9:42 PM

Yeah sounds like the same problem. I bought the new fuel pump put it in and that was not my problem which sucks. To hear your fuel pump you need to pull the back seats out first so you can atleast see the cover where the fuel pump goes atleast on mine then when I turned the car to the on position you can hear the fuel pump turning pretty easily. Sounds like a motor turning. But yeah that wasnt my problem. Might be yours if you dont hear nothing though.

chris24

July, 5, 2007 AT 9:48 PM

The difference between mine and yours is im getting a spark. And when I turn the car to the on position. My check engine light does not stay on.

lunceford

July, 5, 2007 AT 9:56 PM

Ok, replaced Main Relay and Fuel pump. No luck. Had a mechanic take a look. We confirmed that I am not getting any spark nor any power to the fuel pump. He thinks its teh Electronic Control Unit (computer).

I am now out of options since it costs $260 at Autozone or $897 at the dealer. If its not the cause, I can't return it. So, I had my car towed to Honda for diagnostics. If thye say its' the ECU, I am going to buy it at Autozone and install it myself. Anyway, the Diagnostics is now in Honda's hands. This one beat me and cost me $200 in parts I didn't need to replace.

chris24

July, 7, 2007 AT 8:18 PM

Could you let me know what your outcome is and what honda says about it?

lunceford

July, 8, 2007 AT 5:49 PM

Honda Diagnostic. Electronic Control Module (ECM/ECU) was fried. Probably shorted out my Ignition Control Unit in the distributor as well since I had to replace this unit during my troubleshooting. Bought on at O'Rileys for $293 with lifetime warranty. Honda was going to charge me $897 for the unit and then another $100 to install it and it only came with a 1yr warranty.

Ended up installing it on the dealer lot while they were preparing my paperwork. Took about 20 minutes. Located behind passenger f/s panel below and to the right of the glove box. Pull the door strip/carpet back and you will see the big box inside the bracket.

Anyway, this was why the fuel pump wasn't getting any juice either. I put a relay and fuel pump in when I didn't have to but it still was cheaper than paying Honda.