02 SENSOR

2002 Honda Civic

jrt160

I broke my 02 sensor while trying to change it, and was wondering if the car will die on me if driven without it temporarily. Thanks

Bruce Hunt

Which one did you break? There are more than one. Now if it is the bottom one and I say this based on a guess that you have a 4 cylinder, you might notice a small idle problem and a loss of fuel economy. The upper O2 may cause the idle to be worse, etc. I have driven with the lower disconnected for about a 1000 miles without any noticeable difference. I would imagine and hope that the check engine light is on.

jrt160

Actually I didn't know there were more then one on it, but it is the one right below the manifold.
Thanks for your help.

Bruce Hunt

That is the most critical one and I would get it replaced very soon. They are available at the local car parts store or online. Can't remember the website but the is one that just handles O2 sensors and they carry them all. They were quite reasonable. They have them on ebay.

Replace it. You car will thank you and the environment will thank you too!

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast