84 HONDA CRX - PROBLEMS ADJUSTING TIMING *A FAN OF DIY

• zepeda
  • 1984 Honda Civic

1984 honda civic crx, 1500 engine with carburator, engine ID ew1, 178,000 miles. After I replaced the head gasket, I adjusted the timing but found that the distributor was set almost all the way to the left (advance). Normally, it should be set somewhere in the middle of the slot. With this setting (advance) the car wouldn't start. When I set the pully at TDC it corresponds with cam sprocket mark indicating the timing belt was installed correctly - I think it was. I eyeballed the timing and the car ran ok but at the end of the day it wouldn't start without moving the distributor. What can I do to move the timing to its normal specifications. Thanks!

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 4:08 PM

• losone

If the distributer doesn't have gears you have the timing belt off one notch. If it has teeth then you have the distributer off two teeth. Good luck

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 6:07 PM
  • zepeda

84 honda crx, 1500 engine w/carb. Hitachi distributor notToyo Denso distributor, 178,000 miles. I reinstalled the timing belt to make sure all the steps were followed but when I did the timing the same problem happened. I did this three times and only found the same result, with the distributor at the middle of the slot the white mark (TDC) on the pully lines up with timing marker during the adjustment of the timing not ther red mark. I did install different heads (85-87 not sure), do you think that might be a factor. What would be the best way to make sure the timing belt is installed without being off a notch. Thank you for your assistance.

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 10:48 PM
  • losone

You want to check the timing mark on the cam on your old head and the new head. It make be different. If so you will have to make a new mark on the replacement head cam gear. Good luck.

Saturday, May 27th, 2006 AT 1:20 PM
  • zepeda

I don't have the old heads anymore. Is there a way to identify the type of heads on my Honda crx. The original heads were from a 1500 engine w/carb (id# ew1) The current heads installed came from a 87 Honda Crx with a 1500 engine w/carb, but I am not sure if it was an E-series or D-series. The donor car is no longer available. Thanks

Sunday, May 28th, 2006 AT 11:54 PM
  • losone

The only way to set the cam is the old way. Line up the marks on the distributer drive, and the crank with the belt still on. Make sure #1 is TDC by putting a long thin screwdriver in the plug hole and gentle rock the engine a few degrees and the piston is at abslolute TDC.

Take off the timng belt. Make sure that both valves are closed on number one cyl by gentle rocking the cam back and forth. DO NOT rotate the cam as the valves will hit the pistons and cause damage.

Make a mark on the cam gear so you can use it as a reference point. Before you put the belt on make sure the tensioner doesn't pull the cam off angle.

Good luck

Monday, May 29th, 2006 AT 8:04 AM
  • macat

Suggestions
insure cam sprocket dot or arrow is in 12: o'clock position and that the groves on back of cam sprocket is aligned with head. Position #1 pistion at TDC first

make sure crank sprocket timing mark and cam sprocket timing mark are parallel to one another.

Put distributer back to center and pull cord : lol: I hope this is of help.

TIP: use oil dipstick to guage TDC position be carefull and make sure dipstick is on top of piston and not to either side.

GOOD LUCK.

Tuesday, June 6th, 2006 AT 11:11 AM