REPLACEMENT OF A/C COMPRESSOR, CLUTCH &

2002 Honda Civic

RGleaves

April, 24, 2008 AT 3:30 PM

Air Conditioning problem
2002 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 22500 miles

My mother's Civic was making a rattle type noise when her a/c was on blowing hot or cold. She took it back to the dealership where she bought the car new. The serviceman told her that the a/c compressor, clutch and coil needed to be replaced and the a/c recharged for an estimated $1500. They told her the problem was that she didn't drive her vehicle enough and that is what cause it. Something about the parts not getting enough lubercation. Unfortunately she did not buy an extended warranty because she had a lot of faith in Honda's reputation that they needed minimal repairs and they outlast alot of other brands. She knew she would not be putting a lot of miles on it that would increase wear and tear. Is the dealer's explaination plausible?
Thanks in advance for your help. My mom is on a budget and I am looking at helping her out with the repair costs if it is this costly.

merlin2021

April, 24, 2008 AT 3:45 PM

Unfortunately it is true, but very rare! You might want to scout a used part, or even a remanufactured one at a parts store.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML